A solar inverter is a useful equipment to have at home. It takes in power from the solar panels installed on your roof and converts it into AC power that can be used for household electricity needs. The solar inverter is a piece of complex equipment and is likely to face problems as you keep using it. This is why you need to ensure that you get the best solar power inverter for your home.
The following are five tips to help you:
- Make sure the inverter is manufactured as per the Australian standard AS 4777. The inverter should be approved by the Clean Energy Council. This is very important and is one of the first things to consider while buying a solar inverter.
- You need to decide the type of inverter. The most common type is the string inverter and is the ideal type for a home. In case you have a lot of shade over your solar panels, you can consider a micro inverter. If you need to connect a storage battery to the system, you can consider a hybrid inverter.
- The size of the inverter in Kilowatts needs to be decided next. This depends on the capacity of the solar panels that you have. Its maximum output capacity should be at least 75% of the capacity of the array. This is a standard norm to keep in mind.
- Choose the brand of the inverter carefully. If you buy a branded inverter that has a good reputation in the market, you are assured of having a quality inverter. You may need to pay a bit more for the top brands, but you can be assured of a trouble-free performance.
- Inverters should last for 5 to 10 years. All inverters would offer a warranty of five years. You should ideally look for an inverter with a warranty of 10 years. If this is not offered, you need to look for an extended warranty to cover the full term. Negotiate the price and then get a warranty for 10 years so that you can be assured that any problem in your inverter would be fixed promptly.
You can refer to the tips given above when you are planning to buy a solar power inverter. The tips will ensure you get the best quality device for your home that gives you years of good service.